Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My personal IEP

IEP Reflection



For my Individualized Education Plan requirement in Education 632 at the University of Alaska, Southeast, I chose to learn the Windows Movie Maker program. Having never used the program before this class, I was quite unsure as to how to proceed, but dove right in and attempted to find my way around. It was sometimes frustrating, but when I was able to figure out the complexities of it, the feeling of accomplishment was exhilarating.
I began using the program for my philosophy video, but had difficulty with the computer so I gave it up for awhile. Needing to complete the second semester of the class by creating a digital story, I attempted to use movie maker again. The help topics aided my attempts to build my knowledge of the program, yet were somewhat difficult to navigate and I was unable to find the answers to all of my questions. The inability to find the answers I searched for caused me to revisit the program and attempt to figure out the program by trial and error. The most difficult aspect of the program, for me, was attempting to have an audio track and narration simultaneously. Again, through trial and error, I was able to discern the correct way to achieve my goal. A revised version of my digital story is available here.
As for using this program in the classroom, I believe it could be a very effective tool for learning by having students create projects and present them to their classmates. In this manner students will deepen their understanding of a topic, and aid their fellow students learn about what they have discovered. Many students will also learn how to use technology in their learning, not only by creating something, but also in doing research through knowing what a viable website to gather information is. I can see myself using this program in future classrooms as a way to motivate students to learn.



Lesson Plans

No comments: