Monday, June 22, 2009

Digital Story--Refuge Rock

I chose an historical event that occurred on Kodiak Island as the basis for my digital story. This event is fairly well known among Alaskan historians, but for others it is obscure. This short video provides a synopsis on the events. I found this an effective way to increase my knowledge of both the event and using technology. This digital story could be used in the classroom as a way to inform students of the events in Kodiak Island history, as well as the nature of the Russian "invasion" of Alaska regarding their treatment of native peoples.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Sven Haakanson, a local Alutiiq and renowned archeologist, regarding the incident at Refuge Rock and the archeological excavations taking place on the rock. The actual location of the rock was unknown until approximately 2002. The rock is located on the southwestern side of Kodiak Island, near the present day village of Old Harbor. I believe this is an important piece of history that can provide a different perspective of the arrival of the Russians to Alaska. I hope this story provokes thought among those who choose to view it.


Refuge Rock digital story
Story map

No comments: